Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Heroes near and far....

This has been the hardest entry yet. I guess because there are so many emotions flooding my heart. Last weekend John Stroud & I went to Chicago to say goodbye to Helen. Helen was about to turn ninety. John was miserable in his dorm in grad school. He ended up in Helen's house, in her heart, in her family. But that was Helen. She never made anyone feel less than treasured, loved, and special. Helen could have been a victim. A single mom caring for two gifted girls and one mentally challenged son, she put herself through grad school at forty-seven. She changed the lives of countless students at Northwestern. Her daughters told stories of her attending rainy Cubs games at eighty, racing their friends in the street, and always listening to them. Her granddaughter told stories of her jumping off high dives and making time capsules for her. Everyone mentioned her positivity, zest for life & love of people. I felt sorry for anyone at the service who did not know Helen. John told the story how he lost Helen's son Mark at a Cubs game & she didn't yell at him. She was amazing. These are the people who deserve our applause. I am so thankful I knew her & was loved by her.

Helen got me thinking about women and girls and heroes. She was one of my heroes...truly. It got me thinking about my big girls. Big girl one went to Chicago on school trip. She fed the homeless & loved on the outcast lesbian girls at an inner city high school. Big girl number two is looking at schools in NYC to pursue a dream. Fearlessness! Are they mine? I don't know somedays....

A friend in our church has been battling a life-threatening illness. I have been so blown away by the groups of people from different faiths and walks of life coming together to support this family & each other. I love it when we are pleasantly surprised by people.

I started an herb garden today. Another new thing. Trying to surprise myself. Precious Lizzy next door told me she wanted pretty flowers like mine :). Life is nothing if not surprising...

No comments:

Post a Comment