Tuesday, February 14, 2012

And I am telling you...I am not changing diapers in Haiti

I really have not minded leaky diapers until Melinda and I were the only nannies for fifteen 12-24 month olds. I had six or seven babies in lap, between legs, on legs, etc. their smiles and pure joy were enough to make you cry. I just could not stop smiling. Then the smell was a little overwhelming. Melinda bravely attacked the diapers. I say bravely because they are cloth with mainly Velcro for holding them in place. It became comical as one after another the babies' diapers would fall & they would just carry them around in their little fists. We quickly found pins.

What completely undid me was I realized this is how I am before my father- stinky, diarrhea running down & he is smiling & enjoying me. He hates I am dirty because it is uncomfortable for me & NOT good for ME. Along comes a fellow traveler who helps clean me up. I need fellow travelers. When I return, the smiling father loves me not more because I am clean, but loves me as much when I am dirty. He is just so happy I am in a more healthy state.

I am a zit popper. My girls run from me. Three of my girls had molluscum, a skin virus you can apply expensive cream to remove or you can pop the entire volume of small bumps out & virus leaves the body. I learned how to effectively do that. Several babies here had molluscum and I became the official dermatologist. Who knew that would come in handy?!?!?

We leave tomorrow. This place has changed me for good. (note two musical theater references in one blog) It will be sad. Our friend Carlee's baby is not fully legally her's and she will have to leave him. I knew that would be hard but now I know it will be full out gut-wrenching. I know angry girl & selfish girl will always realistically rage battle inside me but at least they got a view from the rubble and tent cities and an orphanage.

No comments:

Post a Comment