Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wanderlust and oh the places you will go....

I started thinking about wanderlust and its meaning a few weeks ago. John Stroud and I began to make plans to attend the annual Wanderlust yoga/music festival in Colorado with several friends. No one batted an eye at me going but it has been fun to watch people react to John Stroud attending. :)

I looked up wanderlust. It means to long to wander or rove. It implies longing for a place you are not currently. Our church lost a dear member a few weeks ago and at his service everyone spoke of his knowing his final home and his longing to be there yet live like one who was secure in that home. He did that...well.

I had already made plans to go to Haiti when I attended that service. I wanted to go because baby girl so wanted to go and serve in this orphanage. I wanted to go because I wanted to bury angry girl in the piles of rubble. So here we are. In Haiti. Yesterday I was covered in urine & diarrhea as I held children. I don't do smells well. I vomit if my girls or dogs vomit. I didn't smell anything. I have been overcome. This place should be completely hopeless. But it is not. I am completely hopeless unless I long for the calling of my final home.

The other thing I have learned is I need to leave selfish girl here..in the rubble. Selfish girl loooooves her own space, time, DVR, iPad, tv show, books, wine. All in all, none are bad things. It is my longing for them and my resentment when I do not get them.

Just so you know....the rumors of me becoming missionary girl are greatly exaggerated. This is it for a while. I will probably come back to this place but not soon. I am thankful for the short time I have been called as I see a bigger picture...a bigger world...a bigger need for me to long...wander....wanderlust....

No comments:

Post a Comment