Sunday, July 3, 2011

A mother on trial....

I have been obsessed by the Casey Anthony trial. My girls asked me why everyone is obsessed with this case. My answer was simple: mothers do not kill their children. On so many levels I ask questions. Why? How do her parents face they raised a monster? How can you harm a baby? My total disgust almost scared me. My sweet single friend tried to calm me by saying what a good mom I am and that is why I feel so strongly. I appreciate that but how do any of us REALLY know we are "good" parents????
I just read Emily Giffin's excellent book "Heart of the Matter" in one day. The main character states women know whose husband works more, who keeps house better, who throws better parties, whose kids are well-behaved,etc. She states we know & digest & discuss with other women. She wonders if we do this to make sure we are normal or we feel better about ourselves when others do less well. Thought provoking at least...
This past week as our church recreated a marketplace that Jesus would have walked through, it hit me that he walked FOR ME. Lately my funks have been all about comparison. I want to shout to my girls, "DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!YOU ARE SPECIAL & LACK FOR NOTHING!!!". We live in a culture of comparisons. Finding that comfort in our own skin is rare. I pray that for my girls.
Maybe We need to encourage & cheer for others.....

No comments:

Post a Comment