Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beth cubed (or silver & gold part 2)

Thanks to Johnny for the inspiration for the title today. When he was visiting us, he called baby girl Beebe b squared :). So cute.

I am in Nashville at Annabeth's. I have heard it said you never forget the first time you meet people who will change your life. I met Annabeth the first day of sixth grade. She had on this shirt that said "Beth" on it that was spelled out with people bending into letter shapes. She said her sister had made it. I always wanted a sister and I wanted boobs which she already had.

On the way over here I was listening to old music I had been downloading. I kept listening to the Indigo Girls. John Stroud and I used to go hear them in dive bars before they were big. I bought my first cassette of their music from them directly. It was about the only cool thing we ever did as a dating couple.

Closer to Fine is the story of the three Beths in my life.

"The best thing you ever done for me, is to help me take my life less seriously".... I was the perfect child...never step out of the box. Annabeth made me Oreo cars, laugh at myself, and laugh at life in general. She brought such loud laughter into my life. She plastered red lipstick on me before leaving the church after I married John with her requisite "you will thank me one day" response. I will thank her for everything til the day I die.

"Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable, and lightness has a call that' hard to hear". When I was in college, darkness overcame me my first year. Enter Little Beth. All 4'10" of her body loved me & taught me not to give into the darkness but listen for the light. Saved me in many ways. She is the most mature & kind person. Always has been.

"I wrap my fear around me like a blanket. I sailed my ship of safety til I sank it. I'm crawling on YOUR shores". My big girl has had the same bff for years. Five years ago her friend's mom, Sweet Beth, came into my life. She has walked with me as I cast off fear and let me have a safe place to land. Safety. Sweetness. Freedom.

"Closer to Fine" is repeated over and over. My friend Nancy has been in my life for 12 years. Her big girl bit my number 3 baby and we have been buds since. She is a fierce lioness who always makes sure I am "fine".

One is silver...the other gold...closer to fine.....

No comments:

Post a Comment